Variable Speed Limit Trailers
Variable speed limit signs provide dynamically changeable speed limit notification to motorists on a brightly lit, highly visible display panel. Wanco Variable Speed Limit Trailers add flexibility to this strategy, being both portable and self-powered. They are easy to deploy and require no permanent installation or wiring. Manage traffic more effectively with a variable speed limit sign you can change in response to current conditions without adding infrastructure.
Wanco Variable Speed Limit Trailers display a changeable speed limit on a sign that mimics the look of an R2-1 regulatory speed limit sign. Two sign sizes are available. A large LED display panel substitutes for static speed limit numbers. The display is capable of showing white numbers on a black background and black numbers on a white background, two digits for mph and three digits for km/h. Automatic dimming helps to ensure long run times. Options include the Wanco 4G GPS modem for remote communications, flashing beacons, Wanco Radar for speed detection, and the Wanco Traffic Data Classifier System.
When the trailer is deployed on highways and other high-speed arterials as a component of an active traffic management (ATM) system, the transportation department can change the displayed speed remotely or at the sign. Update the displayed speed in real time to accommodate changes in conditions due to weather, incidents, work zone activity and other traffic events using the Wanco Fleet Manager service or an ATM system. Speed limits can be either regulatory or advisory. Broadcast capability is built in.
The display panel remains vertical at all times, raised and lowered on a vertical tower that allows the display to be rotated for orienting toward traffic without moving the trailer. When the tower is lowered for transport or storage, the display panel rests in a cradle that keeps it secure.
Power is provided by batteries, which are charged by an automated solar-based charging system. A backup AC-powered charger is included.
Additional solar, batteries, and regulatory signs may be added at the factory to support the application and local requirements.
Wanco Variable Speed Limit Trailers can be customized to meet state DOT requirements. Contact factory for more information.
- Portable self-powered system
- Extra-large electronic display
- Selectable LED speed numbers
- Display speed in black on white or white on black
- Remotely accessible and changeable with Wanco 4G modem
- Portable system is easy to transport and deploy
- Heavy-duty hand-winch with safety brake allows one person to raise display panel
- Tower with speed-limit sign rotates for optimal positioning
- Lock-pin holds tower in place during operation
- Stabilizer legs raise tires off the ground to provide stability in high wind
- Onboard controller for local operation
- Full-color touchscreen controller with high-resolution display
- Multi-level password protection limits access to control software
- Cellular modem included for wireless access
- Wanco Fleet Manager for remote operation
- Large regulatory speed limit sign with electronic speed display
- Electronic display features high-output bright white LEDs
- Displayed speed can be either white on black or black on white
- Visors and shades over LEDs produce superior visibility
- Electronic display has automatic dimming
- Selectable speed limit
- Internal clock facilitates built-in schedule programming
- Controller mounted to display panel frame for eye-level programming
- Weather-resistant control box cover has lockable latches
- See-through design puts pedestrians in view
- Meets MUTCD
- Battery powered and solar charging
- Energy-efficient operation results in long run times
- Solar panel charges batteries automatically without intervention
- Charging system shuts down when batteries are fully charged, preventing damage
- Unique system allows battery charging with solar panel or commercial power
- Battery box can be locked to prevent unauthorized access
- Individual display modules can be replaced easily
- Standard trailer tires
- Heavy-duty bolt-on fenders can be replaced if damaged
- Durable powder-coat finish resists the elements
- Choice of battery types and configurations
- Additional solar
- 45-amp battery charger
- Combo-hitch for 2-inch ball and 2 1/2-inch pintle hook
- Standard lunette ring for 2 1/2-inch pintle hook
- Heavy-duty lunette ring for 3-inch pintle hook
- Additional regulatory signs
- High-security battery box
Some options may not be available for aftermarket installation. Please consult factory.
Latest product documents only. For older product documentation, please contact our customer service department.
SpecificationsDownload Full Specs
Approx. 1600 lb (726 kg)
MIG-welded steel tubing
Speed-limit display cabinet
Aluminum sheet construction
Dust- and weather-resistant, comparable with NEMA 4 (IP54)
Powder-coated and oven-baked
Speed limit sign
36 × 48 in. (91 × 122 cm) or 48 × 60 in. (122 × 152cm), W × H
Aluminum sheet, 0.080" (2mm) thick, with high-intensity reflective coating
Two white LEDs form each pixel
22 pixels wide by 15 high
30 × 20 in. (76 × 51 cm)
One, two or three digits, from 5 to 140 in increments of 5
18 in. (46 cm)
Four 6 Vdc Group 24 deep-cycle batteries, wired for a 12-volt system
430 Ah total
One 100 W panel
Specifications subject to change without notice.